Nick Beckett talks with Jonathan Chu (CMS Hong Kong), Sheena Jacob (CMS Singapore) and Thomas Hirse (CMS Germany).
In this episode, we discuss:
- the rationale for compulsory licences and the requirements for granting the same
- the rights of patent owners faced with the threat of compulsory licences
- any requirement for patent owners to also provide know-how and technical support under a compulsory licence
- limitations on exploitation under compulsory licences, including labelling requirements and distribution channel restrictions
- the use of compulsory licences to deal with the supply of medical necessities during COVID-19
- the debate regarding the need for COVID-19 vaccine patent waivers